Monday, February 13, 2012

Happy 3rd Birthday Lucy!


"Winter Blast 2011" was not too crazy, but we did get a little snow.  

Lucy and her good friend Gracie!

Birthday Party!

Three years old

Grampy Dave and Lucy

Pinata!

Birthday Girl

Present time

Thanks for coming Grammy and Grampy!
Lucy turned three! Wow, I really have a hard time believing that three years has gone by since the day she was born. Lucy arrived one week after her due date. Boy, that last week of waiting was hard! I had a feeling that she would be born on a Tuesday, and I also had a feeling that it would snow the day she was born. As Monday, January 26th rolled around, I remember thinking that I was going to be pregnant for another week as I could not even imagine that I was going to go into labor and have her the next day. But, sure enough, as the day wore on labor started. By 9pm I was sure. I didn't outright tell Marc yet, I just hurriedly went to bed to try and sleep (this was futile, as the contractions made sleeping impossible). At about 3am I woke Marc up and told him. By 6am I called the midwife and she agreed with me that it was time to come into the hospital. As we drove (boy, that ride was hard!) the snow began to fall. It was so pretty, and when we got into the room that Lucy was born in, it was still snowing, and I remember watching it through the window. So peaceful. Well, except for the contractions. It pretty much goes without saying, but labor is hard! Without a long story of pain (the urge to push way to early, ugh!), I made it until 6pm, and with my ability to cope lost, I got an epidural. What a trip to go from the craziest experience ever, to relief. Woah. Lucy was born at 9:57pm on Tuesday, January 27th, 2009, after some last minute drama (her cord was wrapped around her neck, her heart rate was dropping...), with a roomful of nurses, the midwife and doctor, Marc and our friend Liz present. Liz drove 5 hours that day to be there! I remember how strange it was to feel her come out and how instant was the sensation that I was no longer pregnant. When Marc brought Lucy over to me, I just remember thinking, "Wow." Her spirit was so much more then I could have ever anticipated. I remember thinking, really, this special little spirit has chosen us as her parents? Her presence was so intense to me. She also looked so different than I expected, with her full head of dark hair! She nursed well right away. That was great. The day Lucy was born was so amazing!

Welcome Lucy!


Now that she is three, she was so excited about her birthday! She talked all about her birthday party for days and days, and about Grammy Pam and Grampy Dave coming. We had some of her friends over for dinner, and I don't know why a table full of kids with birthday hats on is so cute, but it is! We had a pinata, and it was pretty funny to watch 2, 3, 4, and 5 year olds try and bash it. :) When it came time to sing Happy Birthday, she was so sweet to watch. Little Lucy, we sure do love you, and are so happy that we have been so blessed to have you in our lives.

3 comments:

kamesse said...

Happy Birthday, Lucy! Loved reading about her birth story. Beautiful!

monet said...

awe what a sweet story! the 1st as well as the 3rd birthday stories...giving birth to these little special spirits is such a gift.

Serge said...

Lucy sure looks cute! Here's to celebrating another great year for your wonderful kid. More years to come!