Thursday, January 5, 2012

Ending our 2011 Road Trip

Sinopah boat ride on Two Medicine Lake

Lucy enjoying the boat ride

Glacier sure was beautiful!

Enjoying our last night in Montana

Sunset as we arrived at a campsite on the Lostine River

Lucy loves those goggles

Lucy also loves the tent, and her puppy

Action shot on the Lostine River, NE Oregon

My honey

What a girl!

Again, what a girl!

Almost home...the Columbia River Gorge and Mt Adams in the distance
As with any vacation, our road trip to Montana had to come to an end. As a final Glacier adventure we took a boat ride on Two Medicine Lake in the 1926 boat Sinopah. The ride was fun, and we learned a lot more about the park, both geologically and historically.  Glacier National Park has been a highlight on the list of places I have been. The sheer immensity of the place makes you feel small, but full of life all at once.  It is an inspiring place to be. Sadly, we had to leave. Our last night in Montana was spent in Whitefish, a mountain resort town that would be great in the winter!  We walked to the downtown area and had a fabulous dinner at the Craggy Range Bar and Grill. I still dream about the rib-eye steak I had there. We then went to a brewery and had the game room to ourselves. Lucy loved the table shuffleboard, and Marc, Bob and I enjoyed a few beers.  It reminded us of when we lived in the Arcata area, a small town with an outdoor vibe. When life was so simple and carefree!!! 

Before returning to Portland, we took one last pit stop in Northeastern Oregon, camping for two nights on the Lostine River. Again, beautiful.  It was especially relaxing, staying in the same place and just enjoying each other.  Marc got some fishing in (he was eluded by a large trout that jumped several times right in front of him, all day long). Lucy played in the water, throwing rocks, exploring and just plain being cute. She sure loves to camp.  I caught up on some reading, lost in the series "A Song of Ice and Fire", which I am still deeply entrenched in almost five months later. It's awesome. I was glad we had a bit of time to take a deep breath as a family and reflect on our journey.  We are blessed that we were able to take the time for this trip, and had the resources to make it happen.  I hope that as Lucy grows and time goes by we are able to continue this tradition, exploring the US and making memories together!

3 comments:

Grandma Pam said...

Oh my what an awesome adventure you took; and yes, truly a wonderful "lifetime" memory. The beauty of God's country is amazing and I'm so glad you all were able to share it.

Sending hugs,

Mom

Celeste Dodge said...

Love Montana!! We went to Whitefish for our first anniversary! Glad you had so much fun there!!

kamesse said...

Love to read about your adventures!