Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Glacier National Park Part 2

Hiking out to Avalanche Lake

A highlight of Glacier is the abundance of crystal clear water.
Happy Family!
Lucy Kat on the Cedar Trail.

Dinner in East Glacier
I'm lucky to have such a great Father in Law

Peaks overlooking Two Medicine Lake

Nice evening playtime

Running Eagle Falls

Lucy said "I do it myself" brave girl!

Hiking to Upper Two Medicine Lake

The glaciers carved these deep, round-bottomed canyons all throughout the park.

At the end of a ten mile hike, feeling of accomplishment.


That's my girl!
After a couple of nights in West Glacier, we headed to East Glacier. Glacier NP is so huge that four days there only let us barely scratch the surface. Sure, we got to drive the amazing Going To The Sun Road, and hike to some beautiful spots, but we left so much of the park unexplored that you could easily spend two weeks there and not get bored. The wildflowers were blooming everywhere, and we saw so much wildlife (but no bears, even though Lucy wanted to see one).  East Glacier is on the Indian Reservation and is much less populated. We went on a ten mile hike and hardly saw anyone! It was in an area frequented by bears which was a bit spooky. Hiking through fields of huckleberries (Lucy loved them!) and cow parsnips, both yummy Grizzly food...I was in charge of heading up our group, and though I often felt silly belting out all of the old camp songs I know, and making up new ones...some silly singing is better then surprising a bear, which happened to a runner elsewhere in the park during the same week. Despite sharing the space with bears, I highly recommend taking the time to visit GNP!

No comments: