


I just got off the phone with the surgeon, and he is satisfied that she does not have Hirschsprung's Disease! This is wonderful news. In the full thickness biopsy that was done last Friday, three samples were taken. The pathologist found nerve cells in all three samples, and in both layers of the tissue where nerve cells should be. It is possible that she had meconium plug syndrome, and normal that Hirschsprung's be ruled out using biopsy results. It is not super uncommon to have biopsies showing no nerve cells, like the second biopsy showed, as it is easier to get tissue from the anal canal, where none of us has ganglion nerve cells. This is why they look for the other feature, the hypertrophic nerve trunks, to confirm Hirschsprung's. With the more in-depth biopsy showing everything normal, our surgeon said, "Go kiss your baby and your husband!" As long as she keeps pooping like a normal baby should (and she has!), Lucy is in the clear.
Today is three weeks from the day that Lucy was born, and so much has happened in those weeks. We would not have made it through without all of the love and support, good thoughts and prayers that our family and friends have provided. I am so excited to work on letting this go and moving on. I am sure that I will always be concerned about poop...but that's OK! Here's to all future posts being about "Lucy rolls over now!" or "Lucy's crawling!" We love you all!

5 comments:
So glad to hear the exciting news!!!!
There is nothing better than to hear that your baby has a clean bill of health. Congrats! Looking forward to seeing more posts of your sweet little Lucy.
HOOORAAAY!!!! It is time to celebrate! So glad to hear the good news. I just knew everything would work out. What a relief for you! And yes we are looking forward to all the milestone posts, and yes you'll be concerned about poop for quite some time...apparently poop tells a tale. Yay! Give Miss Lucy a kiss from me!
Good news!
Spare us a few of the poop posts, though, will you??? We have plenty over here.... :)
Rock and Roll Lucy!! Keep on poopin on missy! You all look great...I love to see the pictures. She has a nice round tummy! and so much hair!!
Koree I don't know if I ever told you but when you were born I was amazed at how beautiful your legs were....well Lucy has your pretty legs! Sending love today Auntie Colleen
I am glad everything went really well with Baby Lucy !! She is so adorable.
Post a Comment