Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Baby Lucy is a trooper!




We have had an adventurous week with Baby Lucy. She is a beautiful, mellow baby. She loves to eat and sleep and be held close...exactly what most babies love to do. She has also had many challenges that babies should not have to go through. She was admitted into the hospital on Sunday night to do some tests to rule out Hirschsprung's Disease. In a nutshell, the disease is one of the large intestine, where the nerve cells did not adequately develop and therefore normal bowel patterns do not occur (she had not pooped at all in 5 days of life). Staying overnight at the hospital was difficult and resulted in many tears. Fortunately we had some family in town for support, and we were at Doernbecher Children's Hospital which is where I work. I knew all of our nurses and many coworkers and even my boss came by to visit. It was nice to not feel so lost in a big, unknown place. A biopsy was done, which was a rather simple procedure. The results were that some nerve cells were found, but the doctor is going to do another biopsy tomorrow, as he still is not sure that it is not Hirschsprung's. If it is, she will need surgery in the next few weeks, and after that most kids do just fine. She has been pooping on her own and that is a promising sign. (I did not think I would be so obsessed about poop!) Through all of the pokes and prodding, Lucy has been a champ. She is so brave and strong for a little baby! I can't believe it has been a week since she was born. Marc has been an amazing father and husband, having to have this harsh crash-course in my world of nursing care. I am so lucky to have him as a partner. We will keep you all updated on her progress through this blog. Thanks for all of your kind thoughts and prayers...let's focus real hard on her next biopsy to put her in the clear! Much love, Koree

7 comments:

kamesse said...

Oh! She is just too cute and so sweet. What a beautiful baby. I love her! I know that we will hear more positive news after tomorrow. :)

Unknown said...

Hi Koree... we're pulling for you and Marc and baby Lucy... hopefully those poops will keep coming, and she won't need surgery!

Sending you big hugs. Can't wait to meet Lucy and see you guys!

monet said...

So nice to see photos of you all. Looks like you're head over heels in love...amazing isn't it? Hang in there...Hope you hear good news about Lucy really soon. So fortunate to be in a hospital that knows you!

Kelly said...

Koree, despite all the challenges, you guys look so happy! I'm certain everything will work out in the end. Love and blessings and all positive thoughts to you and Marc.

Sara said...

Much love to all three of you. Lucy is just gorgeous. Hang in there!

Auntie Colleen said...

Hi Koree and Marc,

You guys are great. Lucy is beautiful and I pray today goes well for her.

Sending love to you all
today, tomorrow and always
Auntie C

Elibee said...

So Wonderful to get the update. Thank you so much Koree. I will be praying for little Lucy. I am so excited to see you two as parents. It seems just the other day we were in Bayside. I hope to visit you soon. I missed you at Christmas because of that awful storm. I couldn't leave my friends house. You enjoy every newborn baby moment and tell Marc that I said Aloha!!!
Love Elizbeth